I have cooked many cakes before, and I have to say this chocolate birthday cake is D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S.
This chocolate birthday cake recipe has been passed down from generation to generation in Victor’s family. And now his grandmother, Nona as they call her, has shared it with her children and grandchildren.
He is particularly fond of this chocolate cake. It reminds him of his childhood, and nowadays he still enjoys eating it as if he was six years old.
Before I tried it, he had always told me that there was no other cake like it, that it was, by far, the best chocolate cake I would ever try. One day, I was so intrigued that I felt the urge to taste it… Now, that I have already tasted it, I invite you to try it and tell me what you think!
In many Spanish restaurants, you can find this cake as dessert on their menu, and it is decorated with lacasitos sweets and other toppings to give it a colourful touch. For many people, it is the perfect cake for birthdays; both children and adults love it. Nonetheless, you can make it for other special events, too.
When I was planning the cake photoshoot, I thought of decorating it with lacasitos like the others. Victor stopped me in my tracks and said: “No Lacasitos”; therefore, we went out shopping to buy a cake plate to show it´s category. Now I understand him. It is spectacularly delicious.
If you are a chocoholic, and you love chocolate desserts, this no bake chocolate cake will become one of your favourites.
For those less chocoholics, it can be served with a little cream to reduce the chocolatey taste. Even so, this is still a to-die-for chocolate cake.
Spanish Chocolate Birthday Cake Recipe
1. Break 300 grams of milk chocolate and 150 grams of dark chocolate in a glass bowl and melt it in bain-marie. How? Fill a saucepan with water and put it on the stove. Then, place the glass bowl on top of the saucepan, keeping it from touching the water. With the hot water, without bringing it to the boil, stir with a whisk until the chocolate melts. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, cream 150 grams of butter, 150 grams of sugar and 6 egg yolks. Beat with a hand held mixer.
3. Add the mixture into the chocolate and stir with a spatula until integrated. It is important that the chocolate is not too hot.
4. Whip 200 grams of cream with the hand held mixer for 3 minutes until thickened.
5. Add the chocolate into the whipped cream and mix very well.
6. Pour the milk into a deep dish and then dip the Maria cookies in it to soften them.
7. Line 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
8. Fill the cake pan with the mixture and biscuits, making sure you don´t leave gaps. The order is the following: biscuits – mixture – biscuits – mixture – biscuits – mixture.
9. Once you’ve assembled the cake, put it in the fridge overnight so that it’s ready for the next day. Et voilà … You have cooked a delicious chocolate birthday cake!
Spanish Chocolate Birthday Cake
- 400 grams Maria biscuits
- 300 grams milk chocolate
- 150 grams dark chocolate
- 150 grams sugar
- 150 grams butter
- 200 grams cream
- 6 eggs
- Break milk and dark chocolate in a glass bowl and melt it in a water bath. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter, sugar and egg yolks. Beat with a hand held mixer.
- Add the mixture into the chocolate and stir with a spatula until integrated.
- Whip the cream with the hand mixer until thickened.
- Add the chocolate into the whipped cream and mix very well.
- Pour the milk into a deep dish and then dip the Maria cookies in it to soften them.
- Line 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Fill the cake pan with the mixture and biscuits, making sure you don´t leave gaps. The order is the following: biscuits – mixture – biscuits – mixture – biscuits – mixture.
- Once you've assembled the cake, put it in the fridge overnight so that it's ready for the next day. Et voilà … Now you have a delicious chocolate biscuit cake.