This salted caramel panna cotta recipe will surprise you with how easy it is to make!
Although it is very easy to make, you need to follow every step of this recipe so that this Italian dessert comes out delicious and, as consequence, makes you look like a haute cuisine chef!
I warn you about this sweet treat, it can be addictive! The moment you push the spoon through the caramel barrier to reach the panna cotta and bring it to your mouth, your palate will enter in a world of new experiences.
If you want to prepare this dessert for a dinner party, I recommend you to start preparing it at least 4 hours in advance, or also make it the day before.
Mmm… the whole kitchen smells of caramel. This is one of the pleasures of making this dessert!
How to Make Salted Caramel Panna Cotta
First, you prepare the panna cotta:
1. In a bowl, pour cold water and soak in two gelatin sheets (4 grams) for 10 minutes, so they will hydrate.
2. In a pot, add 500 ml of whipping cream and 50 grams of sugar. Now stir with a wire whisk over medium heat (level 6 if you´re using glass-ceramic ).
3. When the mixture is boiling, add in the two gelatin sheets and stir until dissolved.
4. Once the gelatin sheets have dissolved, turn up the heat for about 10 seconds and stir well. Then, turn off the fire.
5. Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes before pouring in small glasses. Then, put the panna cotta to chill in the refrigerator for three hours.
6. When making the caramel, in a saucepan, add 100 grams of sugar and put it over medium heat ( level 6 if you´re using a glass-ceramic ). Do not stir it with a spoon; just shake and tilt the pan gently until sugar browns evenly. As you see the first boiling bubble, add in 10 grams of salted butter and stir until intregrated. Then, add in 100 ml cream and stir until well combined.
7. Set aside the caramel and let it sit at room temperature.
Three hours later…
8. Once the panna cotta is set, pour the caramel on top and put it back in the fridge for 30 minutes.
9. Et voilà … You now have made a delicious salted carmel panna cotta!
If you like Italian desserts, you can also try our tiramisu or panna cotta with raspberries.
Salted Caramel Panna Cotta Recipe
- 500 ml whipping cream
- 50 grams sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 sheets gelatin ( 4 gr )
- 100 grams sugar
- 10 grams salted butter
- 100 ml cream
- Pour cold water into a bowl and soak in two gelatin sheets for 10 minutes.
- In a pot, add whipping cream and sugar. Stir with a wire whisk over medium heat.
- When the mixture is boiling, add the gelatin sheets and stir until dissolved.
- Once the gelatin sheets have dissolved, turn up the heat for about 10 seconds and stir well. Then, turn off the fire.
- Allow mixture to cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Then, put it back to chill in the refrigerator for about three hours.
- Heat 100 grams of sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. When it starts to boil, add the butter and then the liquid cream. Stir until integrated.
- When the mixture is well combined, allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Once the panna cotta is set, pour the caramel on top and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Et voilà… You now have made a delicious salted caramel panna cotta!