My father would always surprise me with pancakes every Saturday morning.
When I was a little girl, I was lucky that my father traveled a lot to the the United States for work. I remember how happy my siblings and I were every time he return home. Happy to see him again and excited to open the presents he always brought with him!
I remember how special those gifts were, as if they came from another world. Back then I could enjoy playing with toys that were not available at the time in Spain, as was the case of the Game Boy, or Barbie’s marvelous dresses. But once he brought something different, a homemade pancakes recipe.
On one of his trips he went to visit my great aunt who lived in Miami. In the morning he had for breakfast what he called authentic American pancakes. He remembers that they were the fluffiest pancakes he had ever tasted in his life, with either caramel or chocolate syrup on the side.
At that moment he knew that in my house we were going to be very happy with that recipe.
This pancakes recipe has been my father’s favorite recipe for a long time. I remember watching him enjoy making pancakes for breakfast every Saturday.
How to Make Classic Homemade Pancakes
1. Put together in a hand blender bowl the following ingredients: 160 grams of flour, 300 ml of milk, 1 egg, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of oil.
2. Beat for two minutes until there are no lumps. You will have a dough with a certain thickness and not very liquid.
3. In a small non-stick frying pan, put a knob of butter over medium-high heat ( level 8 if you´re using a glass-ceramic cooktop ). Let the butter melt in the pan, and then wipe it with a paper towel. Why? To keep pancakes from sticking.
4. Now pour some batter into the pan. Wait for bubbles to start popping. Cook until bubbly and it looks firm. When you see that several bubbles have exploded and the dough is getting ready, you can turn the pancake over. You will see that it is golden brown on that side. Cook for another minute on the other side. Take it out of the pan and put it aside on a plate. And again you start the same process with the next pancake. It is not necessary to do the butter process more times, just do it if your pan is not non-stick and you see that the pancakes stick. Et voilà… delicious homemade pancakes for breakfast!
I also invite you to try these crepes with nutella.
Homemade Pancakes Recipe
- 1¼ cup flour ( 160 grams )
- 1⅓ cup full-cream milk ( 300 ml )
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Put all the ingredients together in a hand blender bowl.
- Beat for two minutes until there are no lumps.
- Grease a small frying pan with a little butter. Let the butter melt in the pan, and then wipe it with a paper towel.
- Now pour some batter into the pan. Wait for bubbles to start popping. Turn the pancake over when bubbly and it looks firm. Cook for another minute the other side until golden brown. Et voilà… delicious homemade pancakes for breakfast!