Mmm… this lemon poppy seed cake is one of my favorites. Your palate will be delighted when tasting this sponge cake made with lemon, poppy seeds and glaze.
Mom is going to cook!
My kids are happy with mommy’s new hobby of blogging.
It amuses them, but they don’t understand. Mom cooks, then mom takes pictures, hereinafter mom writes on the computer. While Blanca, the older of the two, helps me taking photos, Nacho helps me to know if the dessert is delicious enough and fits to be published on the blog.
If you know how to make this cake, you know how to make any other homemade cake.
On the blog we have published similar cakes to this one, such as the marble cake or the lemon yogurt cake; however, this lemon poppy seed cake is going to take more time to prepare. Following the steps of this lemon sponge cake recipe, you will get it right the first time. You will get a homemade and fluffy cake to sweeten your family afternoons.
Stores are playing Christmas songs, and streets are decorated with colorful lights. We are on the eve of Christmas 2020, a year that has changed us all in one way or another. Besides the personal level, I would never have imagined creating a dessert blog. And here I am!
This new hobby of blogging has become a novelty in our lives. Whenever I have time, I take the opportunity to make a dessert with the help of my children and then we all enjoy eating it together as a family.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
- 250 grams flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (15 gr)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (5 gr)
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel
- 60 ml lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 170 grams softened butter
- 200 grams sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 ml whole milk
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 60 ml lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 120 grams icing sugar
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 356°F ( 180°C ).
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar with a hand held mixer until combined.
- Add in 3 eggs, 1 by 1 while beating with the hand held on medium speed until well blended.
- Add in vanilla extract and lemon juice and whisk.
- Now add in the dry ingredients and milk into the mixture as follows: ⅓ flour and stir until integrated; ½ milk and integrate; ⅓ flour and integrate; ½ milk and integrate; ⅓ flour until integrated.
- Add in poppy seeds and stir with spatula.
- Butter and flour a 10 inch loaf pan. This process will help you unmold the cake later.
- Pour the batter and bake for 50 minutes (without opening the oven door). Then, insert a cake tester into the center of the cake to check whether it is done. If it comes out clean … Et voilà! When you take it out of the oven, let it cool on a wire rack; thus, it will be fluffier.
- So far you will have a super fluffy and tasty cake, but if you want to take this cake to another level, there are two more steps:
- Make the lemon syrup by mixing the lemon juice and the powdered sugar. Then, brush the sponge cake with the syrup.
- Once the cake has cooled, in a bowl, mix the icing sugar, lemon juice and milk. When the mixture thickens, pour it all over the cake.