Peanut butter, peanut butter!
I remember perfectly when I first saw peanut butter.
It had a huge impact on me. It was on a trip to the United States, accompanying my father on one of his trips to New York.
Peanut butter on toast, peanut butter on a bagel, peanut butter with raspberry jam …
I was ten years old at the time, and I didn’t understand anything. I didn’t know whether that delicacy came from heaven or not. In my view, the way people spread it on a piece of bread opened my eyes, and then I realized there was more to discover besides Nocilla ( Spanish Nutella ).
Chocolate with bread made sense to me, but peanut butter?
One day I got curious and decided to try this peanut butter recipe. I instantly fell in love with it. Since then, for me, peanut butter is addictive for its creamy texture and that combination of salty and sweet flavors.
As a Spanish woman, I discovered very early on how important the gastronomic culture of each country is and, without a doubt, one of the best ways to get to know the culture of a country is through its cuisine. You get out of your comfort zone by trying new dishes, new flavors…
That’s the incredible thing about traveling and getting to know new customs. You think you already know everything and there’s nothing left to experience, especially when you’re ten years old!
Have you seen the movie Julie & Julia, starring Maryl Streep? Well, the same thing happened to the her.
Imagine an American woman living in Paris in the 1940s, going to the market in the mornings, eating at the best bistros… French gastronomy made such an impact on her that she signed up for Le Cordon Bleu, and later she wrote a French cookbook for Americans.
How To Make Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is a product that nowadays can be found on the shelves of many supermarkets, but many years ago this delicacy did not exist in Spain. Here in Spain there was no peanut butter! Can you imagine my suffering?
What a surprise it was to discover how easy it was to make it at home. Plus, I believe this peanut butter recipe is a healthier option than buying peanut butter directly from the supermarket.
All you need is 400 grams of roasted peanuts, a blender or food processor, and five minutes of your time.
- In the blender, the peanuts turn into a sandy powder at first.
- As they are chopped, they turn into a doughy mass.
- They release their own oil; therefore, the mixture gains creaminess.
- Stop beating when you see that there are no more lumps and the cream is smooth.
- Et voilà! You just have made your homemade peanut butter.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipe
- 400 grams roasted and salted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon honey, sugar or panela
- in a blender, add the peanuts. At first beat at maximum speed for 3 seconds. Repeat this action 3 times. You will see that the peanuts have turned into sand powder.
- Beat at a constant high speed for 4 minutes. You will see the peanuts go through several phases, from a sticky, lumpy paste to a smooth peanut butter.
- Finally, add either honey, sugar or panela. I use panela. And beat for 3 seconds.
- Store in an airtight glass jar in the refrigerator or at room temperature.