Probably the best chocolate chip cookies in the world !
Ever since I tried this cookie for the first time at a Starbucks, I knew we were made for each other.
Its softness and chewiness make this chocolate chip cookie unique. While you bite the cookie, you enjoy every single part of it from start to end.
In short, when you eat this chocolate chip cookie, you live an experience with all your senses.
As soon as I tried this tasty treat, I set out to find out not only how to make them, but also to make the perfect cookie. This has led me to spend hours in the kitchen, making trial and error, to come up with the recipe that I am proud to share with you.
If they are already delicious, the chocolate chips embedded in them make them magical. I put a lot of chocolate chips in them, to make sure that in each bite I combine the flavour of the biscuit with that of the chocolate. Also, you can add chocolate chunks to enhance, even more, the chocolate flavor in the cookie.
Besides chocolate chips, you can add dried fruit, m&ms, candies, raisins, nuts, white chocolate, etc… whatever you like. I personally love this classic American cookie with chocolate chips!
You can eat them with milk or coffee. If your kids are around, save at least one for yourself! 🙂
How Do I Know When Cookies Are Done ?
When you take them out of the oven, you will think they are unbaked, as you will notice they are extremely soft. Don’t worry, these cookies thicken when cooling at room temperature. If you bake them longer they will come out and will not acquire that soft, moist texture that makes them so special. First, allow them to cool for 10 minutes on the cookie tray. Then, transfer them to the tray with racks, where you let them rest for 20 minutes to cool completely. You will be surprised with the final results!
Features Of These Soft And Chewy Cookies With Chocolate Chips
Its texture is soft, almost chewy, and has an irregular shape, unlike the rest of the cookies. None of them are the same.
They are very easy to make, it is an advantage and a curse at the same time!
You can store them in an airtight container, and they last 4-5 days.
With them success is guaranteed, especially with kids.
I have been improving this recipe to find the perfect cookie, so that everyone, from adults to the little ones, can enjoy eating them.
Why Do Cookies Get Flat In The Oven ?
Since cookie dough has a fatty element, such as butter, and a leavening, such as baking soda, the cookies expand when they are in the oven.
Why Do My Cookies Come Out Hard ?
When they are in the oven longer than they should be, the moisture in the dough evaporates; therefore, they become harder and do not acquire the soft texture that makes them so special. Another reason may be that they are smaller than they should be, as result, their moisture evaporates earlier since they have less dough. Roll the dough into balls of about 50 grams each.
Tips, Ingredients and Equipment To Make These Cookies
Very important ! Use softened butter, so I recommend taking the butter out of the refrigerator 2 hours before, to cool at room temperature, or softening it in the microwave at low power in 15 second batches. The butter will be softened when you can sink your fingers into it.
I use hand mixer with dough hooks.
In this recipe, white sugar is combined with brown sugar. The white sugar makes the inside of the cookie more moist and fresh, while the brown sugar gives the cookie that soft, chewy texture.
Cornstarch helps to make this cookie soft, and eggs help to give it structure and thickness.
Use as much chocolate as you like. I add extra chocolate chips to make sure there will be delicious chocolate in every bite.
When you roll the dough into balls, press the sides a little to make them taller. This will help the cookies to come out thicker.
What Is The Best Way To Store Chocolate Chip Cookies?
In case you want to save them for another time, a very simple way to store them is in an airtight container or tupperware. Many weekends I make my mom these cookies for her Thursday Tour, in other words, every Thursday she goes to pick up all her grandchildren from school. That is, she stores these cookies with chocolate chips in tupperware for 5 days. My children and nieces and nephews, the biggest critics of my cooking, love them! So, in my experience, these chocolate chip cookies keep well in the tupperware for 5 days.
How to Make The Best Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 338ºF ( 170ºC ).
2. In a bowl, add 200 grams of softened salted butter cut in cubes, 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of white granulated sugar. With the hand held mixer, cream the butter with the sugar for 2 minutes on low speed.
3. In another bowl, whisk 2½ cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and ½ teaspoon of baking soda together.
4. When dry ingredients are well combined, add them into the butter mixture, then beat with the hand mixer on low speed until the mixture gets a sand-like texture.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, one egg and one egg yolk into the mixture. Beat with the hand held mixer until crumbs.
6. Now start kneading the mixture. Add 200 grams of chocolate chips into the dough and knead again. The amount of chocolate chips can vary according to your taste for chocolate. In my case, I am very very chocolatier!
7. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
8 . Roll the dough into balls, about 50 grams of dough each. I recommend you to, first, roll the balls and then squeeze each side, making the ball taller or into a more cylindrical shape.
9 . Place each ball on the parchment paper. Leave enough space between each cookie so that they have room to expand and don´t stick together.
10. Bake for 15 minutes.
11. When removing from oven, cookies will look like they are unbaked. Don´t worry! Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on parchment paper, then transfer them to a wire rack and let cool completely for 10 minutes. You will see that they will harden a little more, without losing their soft texture. Et voilà, you have just made delicious chocolate chip cookies!
In a bowl, cream butter with sugar, with a hand held mixer, for 2 minutes on low speed.
In another bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch and baking soda together.
When dry ingredients are well combined, add them into the butter mixture, then beat with the hand mixer on low speed until the mixture gets a sand-like texture.
Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, one egg and one egg yolk into the mixture. Beat with the hand held mixer until crumbs.
Knead the mixture, then add 200 grams of chocolate chips into the dough and knead again.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll the dough into balls, about 50 grams of dough each.
Coloca cada bolita encima del papel de horno.
Place each ball on the parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cookies cool for 10 minutes on the parchment paper. Then, transfer them to a wire rack and let cool completely for 10 minutes. Et voilà, you have just made delicious chocolate chip cookies!
Whenever I go to my grandmother’s village, I have churros for breakfast!
When freshly made, churros are deliciously crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
A Typical Breakfast In Spain
Here in Spain, the way to eat them for breakfast is plain or coating the churro in sugar. At breakfast we don’t usually dip it in hot chocolate, it might be too heavy to start the day. We like to accompany them with coffee instead. This is a time to time breakfast in Spain, not daily.
Churros with Chocolate
We like to accompany churros with hot chocolate when we celebrate special moments such as New Year’s breakfast or special family evenings. Also, churros with hot chocolate is the perfect afternoon snack to eat in the cold winter evenings.
What Is The Origin Of Churros ?
The origin of churros is a bit uncertain. On one hand, it is said that Portuguese brought them from China to the Iberian Peninsula. On the other, there is a legend that claims that it was Spanish shepherds who invented this popular dish, as the dough was easy to make and fry during their long stays in the fields. The name churro could come from the churra sheep, a native breed of Castilla y León.
The churros tradition passed from the countryside to the small villages, where churros were made in churrerías(churros factory). In my view, there is no better smell in the morning than that of freshly baked bread and churros in the villages.
How to Make Churros
As a child, I saw these delicious figures as impossible to make; however, I never imagined that I would learn how to make churros.
What are Churros Made of ?
Churros is fried dough made of flour, water and salt; in addition, we are going to add egg whites since churros come out delicious this way!
Believe it or not, churros are very easy to make. For this reason I have carefully broken down each step of this recipe, so your churros come out perfect the first time. Plus, you can make them in the shape of a ribbon, a walking stick or a stick; it depends on your creativity and your skill with the churro maker.
Easy Churros Recipe
1. In a saucepan, add 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of water and a pinch of salt. Heat over medium flame until it starts to boil.
2. Sift 1 cup of all-purpose flour into a small bowl; then, add the flour to the saucepan with the milk and water. Cook the flour in the saucepan for one and a half minutes over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the dough does not stick to the sides of the pan.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat, place the dough in a bowl and then add an egg white to the mixture. Keep stirring. You can knead the dough with your hands but be careful not to burn yourself.
Tip for this third step: Knead until the dough absorbs the egg white. You will know the dough is well done when you can shape it without pieces sticking to your hands.
4. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, pour plenty of soft olive oil (> 200 ml) in a 9 inch frying pan and put it over medium heat for 8/9 minutes until it reaches 356°F ( 180°C ). I use a cooking thermometer to measure the temperature.
10 minutes later…
6. Once the oil is ready, load the dough into a churro maker. Then, pipe lines about 4″ long.
Tips for this sixth step:
You can pipe the dough either directly into the hot oil or onto a piece of parchment paper before frying.
I recommend using a churro maker to make churros. If you don’t have one, another way to make churros is using a piping bag with a star-shaped nozzle.
7. Fry the churros for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Total time in the pan: 6 minutes approx.
8. Remove the churros from the pan with a skimmer and place them on a plate with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
9. In a small bowl, add 100 grams of sugar and coat the freshly made churros in. Et voilà… you have churros for breakfast or afternoon snack!
If you like traditional Spanish desserts, click here to discover more!
Authentic Spanish Churros Recipe
With this recipe you will learn how to make authentic Spanish churros. You can make them in the shape of a ribbon, a walking stick or a stick. The ingredients are: flour, water, salt and egg white. You will love these churros!
In August 1994, Victor was on a plane to Paris on a mission to learn French with a Parisian family. However, he never expected to learn how to make pain perdu, the authentic French toast.
At that time, the culture of France was totally unknown to him.He didn’t speak the language, he didn’t know any of the family members beforehand, and he felt that at the age of 13, the adventure might be too challenging for him.
The first few days were a bit harsh, but little by little he got used to that situation. Besides he was in a wonderful city!
Oui and non was the only thing he knew to answer when spoken to. He always answered, even if he didn’t understand a word of what was being said.
A few weeks later they took a super-fast train to Lyon, and from there they went by car to a cottage in the French Alps. On that trip he was lucky enough to witness the Tour and see Miguel Indurain ride past in his yellow jersey.
The mother of that family taught him to make two very simple French dishes. The first was to boil an egg for 5 minutes, break the top of the shell and dip buttered bread in the yolk. A real treat. The second recipe was the famous pain perdu recipe, the authentic french toast, which consisted of using the leftover bread from the day before and turning it into a sweet delicacy.
How to Make Pain Perdu
1. The bread you can use to make pain perdu can be loaf bread, ciabatta or baguette, preferably stale bread from the day before.
It is best to use stale bread to prepare this dessert, as it holds the egg-milk mixture better without falling apart.
2. In a bowl, add 2 eggs and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, pour 200 ml of milk.
3 . Cut the bread into 0.5/1 inch slices.
4. Grease the pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over high heat.
5. Dip a bread slice in the milk for one second on each side.
6. Now dip the same slice in the egg for one second on each side.
7. Place the same slice in the greased pan for one minute on one side, or when it starts to brown, and another minute on the other side. Do the same with the rest of the bread slices.
8. Before serving, sprinkle a little sugar on top of the pain perdu… Et voilà! Enjoy eating pain perdu!
Recipe for French Toast
French toast is the pain perdu American version and has become a popular dish eaten for brunch or breakfast. The main difference between the original pain perdu and French toast is that in the latter all the ingredients are mixed together in one bowl. In addition, the recipe for french toast is made of ingredients that aren´t in the pain perdu recipe, such as cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. The final dressing is accompanied by maple syrup, jam, sugar or red fruits.
How to Make French Toast
1. In a bowl, pour 100 ml of whole milk and add 2 eggs, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of vanilla sugar, or vanilla extract, a pinch of salt and a pinch of nutmeg. Beat with a whisk and set aside.
It is best to use bread from the day before to prepare this dessert, as it holds the egg-milk mixture better without falling apart or becoming soggy. Some people recommend slicing the bread the night before and letting it dry a little overnight.However, it is also fine to use fresh bread when making this recipe for french toast.
2. If you use unsliced bread, slice the bread into four 1-inch slices.
You can use either slice sandwich bread (bimbo) or brioche.
3. Grease the pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over high fire.
4 . Dip one slice of bread in the egg mixture for 6 seconds on each side.
5. Place the same slice in the greased pan for 40 seconds on one side, or when it starts to brown, and another minute on the other side. Do the same with the rest of the slices.
6. Take the toast out of the pan and drain it briefly on kitchen paper.
7. Now it´s time to dress it with whatever you like: maple syrup, jam, berries, sugar… Et voilà! You have made a delicious French toast!
This recipe for fried plantains with orange sauce, or platanos fritos, won´t leave you indifferent!
What I like about our grandmothers’ desserts is that they were made with basic products. Who doesn’t have sugar, bananas and oranges at home? You only need these three ingredients to make a real delicacy.
This is another recipe from Victor’s grandmother, Nona, who is delighted to be able to contribute her bit to this blog. Thanks Nona! Another of her famous recipes is this recipe for chocolate cake.
How to Make Fried Plantains with Orange Sauce
1. Make an orange juice with 2 oranges.
2. Grease a frying pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over medium-low heat (level 4 on glass-ceramic). Tip: Use a frying pan in which the plantains fit. For this dessert I use a 9.5 inch pan.
3. Slice 2 bananas lengthwise.
4. When the butter starts to foam and sizzle a little, put the plantains with the cut side down. Let them cook for 12 minutes.
5. When the 12 minutes are up (it starts to smell good!), add orange juice until it covers half of the bananas. Then add 1 tablespoon of sugar per banana, and soak the banana loin with the juice from the pan. Let the sauce cook for 25 minutes over medium heat.
6. The sauce that is being made is like a kind of syrup. You can shake the pan a little so that the sauce is well distributed. When you see that it has thickened during this time, without caramelizing, it´s time to remove it from the heat. Et voilà… and in a very simple way you have just made delicious fried plantains with orange sauce.
The texture of the sauce is thicker than syrup and less thick than caramel. If you see that it caramelizes too soon in the pan, add a little more orange juice.
The texture of the banana at the end should not be hard, but soft as shown in the photo above. If you see that it is hard it needs to be cooked a little more in the pan.
These platanos fritos are served warm and with just the sauce taste delicious. However, you can add either whipped or liquid cream as an accompaniment if you want.
I love this recipe for fried bananas, it’s super easy to make and you don’t need a lot of time. I hope you enjoy it savouring it´s incredible texture and flavour!
Grease a frying pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over medium-low heat.
Slice 2 bananas lengthwise
When the butter starts to foam and sizzle a little, put the plantains with the cut side down. Let them cook for 12 minutes.
When the 12 minutes are up (it starts to smell good!), add orange juice until it covers half of the bananas. Then add 1 tablespoon of sugar per banana, and soak the banana loin with the juice from the pan. Let the sauce cook for 25 minutes over medium heat.
When you see that the sauce has thickened , it´s time to remove it from the heat. Et voilà! You have just made delicious fried plantains with orange sauce.
KEYWORDS fried plantains, fried plantains with orange sauce
I love this banana bread recipe with chocolate chips. And I´m sure you will too!
This chocolate chip banana bread recipe is, without a doubt, the best way to use up those ripe bananas that are still sitting uneaten in your fruit bowl..
Spoiler! They will eat those ripe bananas, but in a different way 🙂
Many people use lemon juice to make banana bread; instead, I like to use Greek yoghurt to make a very moist banana bread.
Should I use lemon juice or yoghurt to make banana bread?
Since these two ingredients are essential to activate the baking soda, some people rather use lemon juice, and others prefer yoghurt as ingredient for their banana bread.
How do I know when a banana is ripe?
When the bananas start to have a dull yellowish color, with brown and black shades. Then you can consider that it is a banana that is ripening.
The darker the bananas are, the better! That means they are very ripe and the riper the bananas are, the more moist and sweeter the bread will be and more banana flavour it will have!
It’s time to use those ripe bananas!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 356°F ( 180°C ).
2. Melt 115 grams of butter in the microwave for 45 seconds. Don´t worry if some pieces are still solid when you take it out, it will finish melting when you stir it. I recommend cutting the butter into chunks (3 or 4) so it will melt faster.
3. Pour the melted butter in a bowl and then add three ripe bananas. Mix together with a fork while mashing the bananas.
4. Add two eggs, 75 grams of Greek yogurt and one teaspoon of vanilla extract into your banana mixture. Tip: If you don´t have yogurt, you can use sour cream instead. Continue stirring with a fork until everything is mixed. You can use an electric hand mixer at low speed if desired. Set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, add your dry ingredients: 270 grams of flour, a teaspoon of baking soda (6 grams), a teaspoon of baking powder (6 grams), a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Stir with a whisk until everything is well combined.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix all together with a spatula until well combined. You will notice the batter getting brownie and more solid.
7. Prepare the 10-inch loaf pan by first spreading butter over all four sides and bottom and then adding flour to the buttered pan. This will help you unmold the bread later.
8. Pour the batter into the pan and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the batter just before baking.
9. Bake for 50 minutes. I recommend you not to open the oven door during this time. When the time is up insert a cake tester (or a knife) into the center of the banana bread to check whether it is done. If the tester comes out clean … Et voilà! You have made a delicious banana bread with chocolate chips!
This banana bread recipe is, without a doubt, the best way to use up those ripe bananas that are still unused in the fruit bowl. If you want to give your banana bread a chocolate flavour, you can sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the batter just before baking.
This recipe forcarrot cake will leave you speechless.
Victor and I are particularly fond of this homemade dessert.
One day I decided to surprise him by making one of my specialities. Carrot cake! He exclaimed. That was the last thing I heard from him.
We didn’t talk for a while because we were quite busy eating the whole cake in record time. It’s texture and flavour conquered all our senses. The following day, he insisted that I should share my culinary knowledge with the world. And so that this blog was born!
Recipe for Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This recipe for carrot cake is very easy to make. Just follow these steps:
1. Preheat the oven to 320°F ( 160°C ).
Carrot Sponge Cake
2. Wash and peel 4 small carrots.
3. Grate the carrots with a vegetable grater. Once you are done, place the grated carrots in a bowl and set aside.
4. In a bowl, add four eggs and 150 grams of sugar. Beat all together with an electric hand mixer at maximum speed until foamy and pale yellow.
5 . Add the grated carrots and 75 grams of sunflower oil to the yolk mixture. Beat all together with the hand mixer at medium speed until well combined.
6. Add the following dry ingredients to a strainer: 150 grams of flour, a teaspoon of baking powder, a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a pinch of salt. Then gently tap the side repeatedly over the mixture until all of the dry powder has passed through the strainer. At the same time you stir the batter with a spatula.
Tip for this sixth step: Gradually sift and stir with encircling movements so that the mixture absorbs well the dry ingredients without making lumps.
7. Crush 40 grams of walnuts by hand and add them to the mixture while stirring. The batter is ready!
8. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8 inch cake pan with butter. Then sprinkle with a little flour.
Tip for this eighth step: When you are spreading the flour, tap the cake pan so that it sticks to the entire surface. Then remove the excess. The cake pan is now ready to welcome the batter!
9. Pour batter in the cake pan and bake for 50 minutes.
Tip for this ninth step: I recommend you not to be opening and closing the oven door.
10. When the time is up insert a cake tester (or a knife) into the center of the cake to check whether it is done. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready. If the batter sticks, leave it a few more minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting or Glaze
11. In a bowl, add 275 grams of Philadelphia cream cheese, 150 grams of icing sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and 60 grams of butter. Beat everything with an electric hand / stand mixer. Once the glaze is ready and well integrated, set it aside.
Tip for this tenth step: It is recommended that the butter is not cold and hard, but just at room temperature, otherwise it will not integrate with the mixture and lumps will appear. You can take it out of the refrigerator at the beginning, when you start cooking, or put it in the microwave for less than a minute to soften it a little.
12. Cut the cake in half with a bread knife. The cut is horizontal. Spread the cream cheese frosting all over the cake base. Place the other half on top of the base and now cover the entire cake with glaze.
Et voilà! You have just made a delicious carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
Grate the carrots, place them in a bowl and set aside.
In a bowl, add four eggs and 150 grams of sugar. Beat all together with an electric hand mixer at maximum speed until foamy and pale yellow.
Add the grated carrots and sunflower oil to the yolk mixture. Beat all together with the hand mixer at medium speed.
Add the following dry ingredients to a strainer: flour, baking powder, a cinnamon powder and salt. Sift over the mixture while stirring the batter with a spatula.
Crush walnuts and add them to the mixture while stirring.
Grease the 8 inch cake pan with butter. Then sprinkle with a little flour.
Pour batter in the cake pan and bake for 50 minutes.
Insert a cake tester into the center of the cake to check whether it is done. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
Cream Cheese Frosting
In a bowl, add Philadelphia cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla extract and butter. Beat everything with an electric hand / stand mixer. Set aside.
Cut the cake in half with a bread knife. The cut is horizontal opening the cake in half. Spread frosting on the the base of the cake. Put the other half of the cake on top of the base with frosting, and then cover the cake by spreading glaze over the entire surface and sides.
Et voilà! You have just made a delicious carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.