This lemon meringue pie recipe is my brother’s favourite.
Its creaminess, crunchy base and lemon flavour make this cake a perfect combination.
It’s October 2020. Fools Garden’s Lemon Tree plays on the radio as I listen to the lyrics: I’m sitting here in a boring room, It’s just another rainy Sunday afternoon…
After the lockdown experience, I want to celebrate the little things that life offers me, like cooking. This time, with the song on my mind, I feel like making a lemon tart.
As the saying goes, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade or …. A lemon meringue pie! With this tart I feel like giving a cheerful touch not only to the day, but also to the eye and to the palate …. mmmmmmmm
This is my brother’s favorite cake. Every September 17th, which is his birthday, this lemon meringue pie recipe is made in my mother´s house.
How to Make Lemon Meringue Pie
1. Preheat the oven to 356°F ( 180°C ).
2. Grab four large eggs and separate the egg yolks from whites very carefully. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, add 4 egg yolks and then beat them with a hand held mixer. While beating, add in 370 grams of condensed milk and then pour in 200 ml of fresh lemon juice.
4. Put the egg yolk mixture to chill in the refrigerator.
5. In a food processor, add 250 grams of Maria cookies and 125 grams of softened butter. Beat until you get a cookie powder.
Tips for this fifth step:
If you don’t have a food processor, you can crush the biscuits with a hand blender. Do it in batches, little by little, because there are many cookies.
It is very important that the butter is at room temperature, it has to be smooth so that it mixes well. If it is hard, put it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften.
6. Pour this dough into a 8-inch cake pan and press it down firmly with the back of a spoon to flatten. Tip: the cake pan is not buttered, nor floured neither line up with parchment paper.
7. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form, then add in 200 grams of sugar little by little beat on high speed. until stiff peaks form. As result, you have glossy peaks that stand up straight and sugar has dissolved.
8. Take the filling out of the refrigerator and pour it on top of the biscuit base.
9. Load up piping bag with meringue. Tip: Do it with the help of a spatula and this way you will avoid that not much air enters.
10. Now it’s time to bring out the artist in you! Decorate the cake with meringue, with the tips facing up, so that the cake looks pretty.
11. Once the cake is covered with meringue topping, bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes. Let meringue tips to brown.
12. To serve it you have to wait until the filling is more set; therefore, allow it to cool to room temperature or put it directly to chill in the refrigerator.
13. When the cake is cool and set, unmold it…. Et voilà! You have for dessert a delicious lemon meringue pie!
Anyone can make this no bake chocolate cake, you don’t need any special method or equipment. Ever since I make my kids this treat, I add cookies soaked in milk to the recipe so it has less chocolaty-ness hit. What a fabulous combination! This cake reminds me the Spanish birthday cake with the creaminess and smoothness of a mousse.
I love it when my kids get chocolate stains!
I couldn’t be more thrilled to see my children, the biggest critics of my desserts, enjoy with all their senses everything I prepare and cook for them.
This chocolate mousse cake melts in your mouth. Its taste and texture are suitable for both adults and children, making it a perfect cake for birthdays and family celebrations.
You can decorate this chocolatemousse cake with chocolate shavings. Also strawberries give it a touch of color and a flavor combination that tastes amazing!
Chocolate Mousse Cake Recipe
1. In a bowl, whip 250 grams of heavy whipping cream with a hand held mixer for 3 minutes. Set aside.
2. Chop 250 grams of dark chocolate into small pieces, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and add in 125 grams of butter. Melt everything in the microwave at 700W for 30 seconds. Then take the bowl out, give it a stir and place it back in the microwave for another 30 seconds. Repeat this process until the chocolate is completely melted. Tip: don’t overdo it because the chocolate burns easily (and makes a tremendous smoke, which has happened to me). For this quantity it will be approximately 2 minutes and a half, but it is always better to do it little by little.
3. Let your chocolate sit at room temperature.
4. Separate 4 egg whites from yolks ; then , in a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff with the hand held mixer. Add in a pinch of salt while beating. When you hit soft peaks form, add in 125 grams of sugar little by little. You’ll know you´ve hit stiff peak stage when you have glossy peaks that stand straight and the sugar has dissolved.
5. When the buttery chocolate is at room temperature, add the egg yolks one by one, stirring each yolk until each one is integrated.
6. In batches, add the meringue to the chocolate mixture and mix with a spatula with slow folding movements, a bottom-to-top and top-to-bottom motion, so it doesn’t deflate. Then, add in the whipped cream and combine with the same folding technique until well integrated.
7. Line 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper ; thus, later it will be easier and cleaner to unmold the cake. Dip the Maria cookies in milk and place them on the base of the mold. Fill the cake pan with the mixture and cookies, making sure you don´t leave gaps. The order is the following: cookies – mixture – cookies – mixture.
8. Once you’ve assembled the cake, put it in the fridge overnight so that it’s ready for the next day. Et voilà … You have for dessert a delicious chocolate mousse cake!
In a bowl, whip heavy whipping cream with a hand held mixer for 3 minutes. Set aside.
Melt the dark chocolate in a microwave together with the butter.
Let your chocolate sit at room temperature.
Separate egg whites from yolks; then, beat the egg whites until stiff with an electric hand mixer. Add in a pinch of salt while beating. When you hit soft peaks form, add in the sugar little by little.
Now that the buttery chocolate is at room temperature, add the egg yolks one by one, stirring each yolk until each one is integrated.
In batches, add the meringue to the chocolate mixture and mix with slow folding movements so it doesn’t deflate. Then, add in the whipped cream and combine with the same folding technique until well integrated.
Line 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
Dip the Maria cookies in milk and place them on the base of the mold.
Fill the cake pan with the mixture and cookies, making sure you don´t leave gaps. The order is the following: cookies – mixture – cookies – mixture.
Once you’ve assembled the cake, put it in the fridge overnight so that it’s ready for the next day. Et voilà … You have for dessert a delicious chocolate mousse cake!
Mmm… this lemon poppy seed cake is one of my favorites. Your palate will be delighted when tasting this sponge cake made with lemon, poppy seeds and glaze.
Mom is going to cook!
My kids are happy with mommy’s new hobby of blogging.
It amuses them, but they don’t understand. Mom cooks, then mom takes pictures, hereinafter mom writes on the computer. While Blanca, the older of the two, helps me taking photos, Nacho helps me to know if the dessert is delicious enough and fits to be published on the blog.
If you know how to make this cake, you know how to make any other homemade cake.
On the blog we have published similar cakes to this one, such as the marble cake or the lemon yogurt cake; however, this lemon poppy seed cake is going to take more time to prepare. Following the steps of this lemon sponge cake recipe, you will get it right the first time. You will get a homemade and fluffy cake to sweeten your family afternoons.
Stores are playing Christmas songs, and streets are decorated with colorful lights. We are on the eve of Christmas 2020, a year that has changed us all in one way or another. Besides the personal level, I would never have imagined creating a dessert blog. And here I am!
This new hobby of blogging has become a novelty in our lives. Whenever I have time, I take the opportunity to make a dessert with the help of my children and then we all enjoy eating it together as a family.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
Your palate will be delighted when tasting this sponge cake made with lemon, poppy seeds and glaze.
In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest and salt. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar with a hand held mixer until combined.
Add in 3 eggs, 1 by 1 while beating with the hand held on medium speed until well blended.
Add in vanilla extract and lemon juice and whisk.
Now add in the dry ingredients and milk into the mixture as follows: ⅓ flour and stir until integrated; ½ milk and integrate; ⅓ flour and integrate; ½ milk and integrate; ⅓ flour until integrated.
Add in poppy seeds and stir with spatula.
Butter and flour a 10 inch loaf pan. This process will help you unmold the cake later.
Pour the batter and bake for 50 minutes (without opening the oven door). Then, insert a cake tester into the center of the cake to check whether it is done. If it comes out clean … Et voilà! When you take it out of the oven, let it cool on a wire rack; thus, it will be fluffier.
So far you will have a super fluffy and tasty cake, but if you want to take this cake to another level, there are two more steps:
Make the lemon syrup by mixing the lemon juice and the powdered sugar. Then, brush the sponge cake with the syrup.
Once the cake has cooled, in a bowl, mix the icing sugar, lemon juice and milk. When the mixture thickens, pour it all over the cake.
Pumpkin pie is a delicious dessert to eat on autumn evenings or a perfect snack whether you’re celebrating Halloween with the little ones.
This recipe for pumpkin pie is from Will, a friend of Victor’s who wanted to share this recipe with us when he found out we were creating this blog. Will is a true artist in the kitchen, so I guarantee you will love this cake.
I’m warning you that this pumpkin pie recipe is going to be a discovery if you haven’t tried it before. I have to admit I’ve never been a big fan of pumpkin recipes … until today! I would define this dessert as a delicious autumn delicacy.
We are making this homemade cake on Halloween. The base of the pie is made of biscuit; and the filling has a smooth and creamy texture.
What are you going to dress up as this Halloween?
Is pumpkin season! I bought cut pumpkin for the cake and whole pumpkins with decorative motifs. But I’m sure my kids will get more out of pumpkins with their imagination.
Now that I’m in the kitchen about to make this delicious cake, they are making disguises with their grandmother.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie
Preheat the oven to 356°F ( 180°C ).
In a food processor, add 300 grams of Digestive biscuits and 25 grams of coconut oil (or butter). Crush at high speed for 4 seconds. You will get a well-mixed powder. If you don’t have a food processor, you can crush the biscuits with a hand blender.
Pour the biscuit powder in the 11-inch ceramic baking dish and press it down firmly with the back of a spoon until obtaining the shape of the mould.
In a saucepan, pour water and add 750 grams of pumpkin. Put it over medium heat until boiling. If the texture of the pumpkin has soften, remove the peel and mash the pumpkin with a fork or hand blender to a puree.
In a bowl, add the pumpkin puree and 4 eggs. Beat the mixture with a hand blender or electric mixer until well combined. Add to the mixture 150 grams of brown sugar; a teaspoon of: pink salt, nutmeg and cinnamon; a tablespoon of vanilla extract; 150 grams of whipping cream and 2 tablespoons of flour.
Pour the mixture into the ceramic mould over the biscuit base and bake for 45 minutes.
When you take it out of the oven, allow the cake to cool tp room temperature for about 10 minutes and then put it to chill in the fridge for two hours.
If you have little ones at home and you’re wondering if they’ll like pumpkin pie … they definitely will! Another delicious tart your kids will lick their fingers with is this chocolate cake.
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
This pumpkin pie a delicious dessert to eat on autumn evenings or a perfect snack whether you're celebrating Halloween with the little ones.
In a food processor, add oatmeal biscuits and coconut oil (or butter). Crush at high speed for 4 seconds.
Pour the biscuit powder in the ceramic baking dish and press it down firmly with the back of a spoon.
In a saucepan, pour water and add the pumpkin. Put it over medium heat until boiling. If the texture of the pumpkin has soften, remove the peel and mash the pumpkin with a fork or hand blender to a puree.
In a bowl, add the pumpkin puree and eggs. Beat the mixture with a hand blender or electric mixer until well combined. Add to the mixture brown sugar, pink salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla extract, whipping cream and flour.
Pour the mixture into the ceramic mould over the biscuit base and bake for 45 minutes.
When you take it out of the oven, allow the cake to cool tp room temperature for about 10 minutes and then put it to chill in the fridge for two hours. Et voilà! You have made a delicious pumpkin pie!
I hear the sound of rain drops on the window while I am standing in the kitchen. They warn me that autumn has just arrived along with the cold. I feel it’s time to turn on the oven and use my apple crumble recipe!
Every season has its positive side. The autumn rain invites us to stay at home, to retreat and spend time with our loved ones. In my case, it means having quality time with my children and sharing my passion for cooking with them.
At this time of the year there are pleasurable contrasts such as staying indoors, sheltered from the rain and cold, or eating warm apple crumble with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top – there’s nothing like enjoying the moment while eating a delicious dessert!
The crumb is sprinkled on top of the apples, and it is what gives the crunch and flavour to the pie. The crumb layer is what tells you when the apple crumble is ready in the oven. When? When you see the crumb hard and golden brown.
The smell of hot apple coming straight from the oven invites me to enjoy the warmth of home surrounded by my loved ones. This fruity, homely aroma fills the kitchen, and I mentally see myself savouring every spoonful of this British dessert.
And what more could you ask for if this dessert with apple has ingredients with healthy properties! Apples provide vitamins, lots of fibre and regulate the intestine. In Spain we use Reineta for cooking, otherwise you can use Bramley apples.
This traditional British dessert can be eaten hot or cold with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you like.
How to Make Apple Crumble
1. Preheat the oven to 356°F ( 180°C ).
2. In a bowl, add 150 grams of purpose flour, 150 grams of diced butter, 100 grams of granulated sugar and 25 grams of vanilla sugar. Mix with your hands until crumbs form. Put it in the fridge to chill for about 20 minutes (or 5 minutes in the freezer).
3. Peel 6 apples ( Reineta or Bramley ) and then cut them into 8 or 10 pieces. Tip: Don’t cut them into very small pieces because they will fall apart when cooked and you don’t want a compote-like texture.
4. In a saucepan, add the apple slices, 90 grams of pitted plums, 60 grams of butter, 1 vanilla pod and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Sauté over medium heat until the apple begins to brown.
5. Pour 3 tablespoons of water and lower the heat covering the saucepan with a lid. Let it cook and stir occasionally until the apples are tender.
6. Pour the apple filling into a baking dish and sprinkle the crumbs on top.
7. Bake for 45 minutes. You will see that it is ready when the apple layer is bubbling and the crumble topping is golden brown. Et voilà… You just made a delicious apple crumble!
One of my specialties is this puff pastry apple tart with almond cream.
Everything that is special, or out of the ordinary, catches my attention. And this cake is. It is not like the others: it is light, juicy and … rectangular!
I wouldn’t be surprised if at the multinational Apple they ate this apple pie for its way of breaking with the status quo!
Today is the typical day that I feel like doing something different but easy. And that’s why I’ve decided to make this classic cake. It is a homemade dessert, easy and quick to make.
Although you spend most of the time preparing the cream, the rest of ingredients, such as puff pastry and apples, can be purchased.
Another characteristic feature of this delicious apple pie with puff pastry is the contrast of its texture on the palate, caused by the crunchy puff pastry base and the creaminess of the almond cream. A real explosion of sensations in the mouth.
How to Make Puff Pastry Apple Tart
Preheat the oven to 356°F ( 180°C ).
First step: preparing the puff pastry base
Place the puff pastry dough ( 230 grams – 10″x 13″ ) on the baking paper. Remember to sprinkle a little sugar on the paper before placing the dough.
Cut 3 puff pastry strips of 0,6″x 10″ each. These three strips will give thickness to the edges of the base.
Set the three strips aside and fold the remaining puff pastry dough as if it was a closed book. You will begin to see its rectangular shape.
If you want to give the sides more uniformity, trim them with a knife.
Dip a brush in beaten egg and paint the sides of the puff pastry base. Then, place the cut strips on those freshly painted edges of beaten egg. Two long strips (0,6″) for the longitudinal sides, and the two small strips (0,6″/2) for the two shorter sides of the base. This way, you are creating the edge of the puff pastry. The puff pastry base should resemble a rectangular-shaped frame.
Now that the puff pastry base is ready, the edges are thicker and the centre is flatter ; thus, you can pour the cream and then carefully place the apple slices.
Second step: making apple slices
Peel two yellow apples with a knife or a vegetable peeler.
Remove their apple core. You can use an apple corer.
Cut the apples into quarters and then start making thin slices. With these thin slices you will cover the cream of the tart.
Third step: making the almond cream
Cream 40 grams of sugar and 40 grams of slightly melted butter with a hand held mixer.
Add into the mixture 80 grams of almond powder and keep beating until well integrated. Tip: You can either buy the almond powder or crush the almonds with a hand blender.
Add in a tablespoon of flour, an egg and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Keep beating until well combined.
If you prefer to make pastry cream as filling, instead of this almond cream, here’s how.
Last step: assemble the puff pastry apple tart
Once the puff pastry base is ready, spread the almond cream over it until it covers the entire surface evenly, but leaving the edges free.
Place the apple slices on top of the filling.
Brush melted butter over the puff pastry and apple slices.
Sprinkle some sugar on top.
Bake the pie for 30 minutes.
Take the tart out of the oven and now spread it with apricot jam. You now have a delicious puff pastry apple tart with almond cream!
When is the best time to eat this apple pie?
The great thing about this dessert is that you can eat it whenever you want! You can eat the pie warm and fresh out of the oven ; therefore, it is perfect to enjoy the autumn evenings. Also, it can be eaten cold. But if you put it in the fridge the puff pastry loses.
The finishing touch for this apple pie is to place a scoop of vanilla ice cream by the side.