I always eat churros for breakfast whenever I go to my grandmother’s village!
When freshly made, churros are deliciously crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Are Churros a Typical Spanish Breakfast?
Here in Spain, we don’t eat churros every day, we eat them on special occasions or when we suddenly feel like it, either for breakfast or as a snack. I would say that we consider churro a treat.
Churros come with the shape of loops or sticks, and the way to eat them for breakfast is plain, coating the churro in sugar or dipping it in coffee. We don’t usually dip it in hot chocolate for breakfast since it might be too heavy to start the day!
However, we love eating churros with hot chocolate when we celebrate special occasions such as New Year’s breakfast or special family evenings. Also, churros with hot chocolate is the perfect afternoon snack to eat in the cold winter evenings.
Where to Buy Churros?
You can find freshly made churros in churrerías ( churro shops ), and ready to cook frozen ones in the supermakets. But also you can make them at home, and I got you covered for this one!
Near my house in Madrid, there is a food truck ( the new version of churrería, I guess ) with a huge frying pan in the inside ready to make and sell churros. Every morning you can see people forming long lines to get these sweet treats
What is the Origin of Churros?
The origin of churros is a bit uncertain. On one hand, it is said that Portuguese brought them from China to the Iberian Peninsula. On the other, there is a legend that claims that it was Spanish shepherds who invented this popular dish, as the dough was easy to make and fry during their long stays in the fields. The name churro could come from the churra sheep, a native breed of Castilla y León.
Churros recipe passed from the countryside to the small villages, where churros were made in churrerías. In my view, there is no better smell in the morning than that of freshly baked bread and churros in the villages.
Do you want to learn how to make authentic Spanish churros? Get on board!
How to Make Churros
As a child, I saw these delicious figures as impossible to make; however, I never imagined that I would learn how to make churros.
What Are Churros Made Of?
Churros are a fried dough made of flour, water and salt. In this case we add milk and egg white and you will see how delicious they turn out!
There are two traditional ways of making churros according to old Spanish recipe books. One traditional way to make churros is by adding only flour, water and salt, and the other way is by adding also milk and egg white. The latter is the one I share with you and with which the churros come out exquisite!
Believe it or not, churros are very easy to make. For this reason I’ve carefully broken down each step of this churros recipe, so that your churros come out perfect the first time.
Easy Homemade Churros Recipe
1. In a saucepan, add 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of water and a pinch of salt. Put it over medium heat until boil.
2. Sift 1 cup of all-purpose flour into a small bowl, to then add it into the saucepan with the milk mixture. Cook the flour in the saucepan for one and a half minutes over medium heat. Keep stirring, with a wooden spoon, while preventing the dough from sticking to the sides of the pan.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and put the dough in a bowl. Then, add in one egg white to the mixture and keep stirring. You can knead the dough with your hands but be careful not to burn yourself!
Tip for this third step: Knead until the dough absorbs the egg white. You will know the dough is well done when you knead without it sticking to your hands.
4. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, pour plenty of soft olive oil (> 200 ml) in a (9 inch) frying pan and put it over medium heat for 8/9 minutes until it reaches 356°F ( 180°C ). I use a cooking thermometer to measure the temperature.
10 minutes later…
6. Once the oil is ready, load the dough into a churro maker. Then, pipe lines about 4″ long.
Tips for this sixth step:
You can pipe the dough either directly into the hot oil or onto a piece of parchment paper before frying.
I recommend using a churro maker to make churros. If you don’t have one, another way to make churros is using a piping bag fitted with an open star tip.
7. Fry the churros for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Total time in the pan: 6 minutes approx.
8. Remove the churros from the pan with a skimmer and place them on paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
9. In a small bowl, add 100 grams of sugar and coat the freshly made churros in. Et voilà… you have delicious homemade churros for breakfast or afternoon snack!
If you liked these Spanish churros, I challenge you trying other traditional Spanish desserts!
Authentic Spanish Churros Recipe
These authentic Spanish churros are made of simple ingredients: flour, water, salt and egg white. You will love them!
In August 1994, Victor was on a plane to Paris on a mission to learn French with a Parisian family. However, he never expected to learn how to make pain perdu, the authentic French toast.
At that time, the culture of France was totally unknown to him.He didn’t speak the language, he didn’t know any of the family members beforehand, and he felt that at the age of 13, the adventure might be too challenging for him.
The first few days were a bit harsh, but little by little he got used to that situation. Besides he was in a wonderful city!
Oui and non was the only thing he knew to answer when spoken to. He always answered, even if he didn’t understand a word of what was being said.
A few weeks later they took a super-fast train to Lyon, and from there they went by car to a cottage in the French Alps. On that trip he was lucky enough to witness the Tour and see Miguel Indurain ride past in his yellow jersey.
The mother of that family taught him to make two very simple French dishes. The first was to boil an egg for 5 minutes, break the top of the shell and dip buttered bread in the yolk. A real treat. The second recipe was the famous pain perdu recipe, the authentic french toast, which consisted of using the leftover bread from the day before and turning it into a sweet delicacy.
How to Make Pain Perdu
1. The bread you can use to make pain perdu can be loaf bread, ciabatta or baguette, preferably stale bread from the day before.
It is best to use stale bread to prepare this dessert, as it holds the egg-milk mixture better without falling apart.
2. In a bowl, add 2 eggs and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, pour 200 ml of milk.
3 . Cut the bread into 0.5/1 inch slices.
4. Grease the pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over high heat.
5. Dip a bread slice in the milk for one second on each side.
6. Now dip the same slice in the egg for one second on each side.
7. Place the same slice in the greased pan for one minute on one side, or when it starts to brown, and another minute on the other side. Do the same with the rest of the bread slices.
8. Before serving, sprinkle a little sugar on top of the pain perdu… Et voilà! Enjoy eating pain perdu!
French Toast Recipe
French toast is the pain perdu American version and has become a popular dish for brunch or breakfast. Although french toast recipe is similar to pain perdu´s, both are made differently.
The main difference between the original pain perdu and French toast is that in the latter all the ingredients are mixed together in one bowl, while for the first one it´s used two different bowl instead. In addition, the french toast recipe is made of ingredients that aren´t in the pain perdu recipe, such as cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. The final dressing is accompanied by maple syrup, jam, sugar or red fruits.
How to Make French Toast
1. In a bowl, pour 100 ml of whole milk and add 2 eggs, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of vanilla sugar, or vanilla extract, a pinch of salt and a pinch of nutmeg. Beat with a whisk and set aside.
It is best to use bread from the day before to prepare this dessert, as it holds the egg-milk mixture better without falling apart or becoming soggy. Some people recommend slicing the bread the night before and letting it dry a little overnight.However, it is also fine to use fresh bread when making this french toast recipe.
2. If you use unsliced bread, slice the bread into four 1-inch slices.
You can use either slice sandwich bread (bimbo) or brioche.
3. Grease the pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over high fire.
4 . Dip one slice of bread in the egg mixture for 6 seconds on each side.
5. Place the same slice in the greased pan for 40 seconds on one side, or when it starts to brown, and another minute on the other side. Do the same with the rest of the slices.
6. Take the toast out of the pan and drain it briefly on kitchen paper.
7. Now it´s time to dress it with whatever you like: maple syrup, jam, berries, sugar… Et voilà! You have made a delicious French toast!
This recipe for fried plantains with orange sauce, or platanos fritos, won´t leave you indifferent!
What I like about our grandmothers’ desserts is that they were made with basic products. Who doesn’t have sugar, bananas and oranges at home? You only need these three ingredients to make a real delicacy.
This is another recipe from Victor’s grandmother, Nona, who is delighted to be able to contribute her bit to this blog. Thanks Nona! Another of her famous recipes is this recipe for chocolate cake.
How to Make Fried Plantains with Orange Sauce
1. Make an orange juice with 2 oranges.
2. Grease a frying pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over medium-low heat (level 4 on glass-ceramic). Tip: Use a frying pan in which the plantains fit. For this dessert I use a 9.5 inch pan.
3. Slice 2 bananas lengthwise.
4. When the butter starts to foam and sizzle a little, put the plantains with the cut side down. Let them cook for 12 minutes.
5. When the 12 minutes are up (it starts to smell good!), add orange juice until it covers half of the bananas. Then add 1 tablespoon of sugar per banana, and soak the banana loin with the juice from the pan. Let the sauce cook for 25 minutes over medium heat.
6. The sauce that is being made is like a kind of syrup. You can shake the pan a little so that the sauce is well distributed. When you see that it has thickened during this time, without caramelizing, it´s time to remove it from the heat. Et voilà… and in a very simple way you have just made delicious fried plantains with orange sauce.
The texture of the sauce is thicker than syrup and less thick than caramel. If you see that it caramelizes too soon in the pan, add a little more orange juice.
The texture of the banana at the end should not be hard, but soft as shown in the photo above. If you see that it is hard it needs to be cooked a little more in the pan.
These platanos fritos are served warm and with just the sauce taste delicious. However, you can add either whipped or liquid cream as an accompaniment if you want.
I love this recipe for fried bananas, it’s super easy to make and you don’t need a lot of time. I hope you enjoy it savouring it´s incredible texture and flavour!
Grease a frying pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over medium-low heat.
Slice 2 bananas lengthwise
When the butter starts to foam and sizzle a little, put the plantains with the cut side down. Let them cook for 12 minutes.
When the 12 minutes are up (it starts to smell good!), add orange juice until it covers half of the bananas. Then add 1 tablespoon of sugar per banana, and soak the banana loin with the juice from the pan. Let the sauce cook for 25 minutes over medium heat.
When you see that the sauce has thickened , it´s time to remove it from the heat. Et voilà! You have just made delicious fried plantains with orange sauce.
Making these butter cookies is an activity we love to do on rainy Sundays.
My kids have real fun making shapes with the dough as if it was plasticine. They may be entertained the whole afternoon!
Stars. Triangles. Cats. Circles. Etc...
First I make the dough, and then they flatten it and make the figures with the help of cookie cutters. Once the dough is ready, we repeat the same process with the fondant that we will then stick on the cookie that has the same shape.
Oh, and the best part of all! We eat them and give them as gifts to family and friends.
How to Make Decorated Butter Cookies
1. Heat 250 grams of butter in the microwave for 45 seconds. Be careful not to burn it, we just want to soften it.
2. In a separate bowl, add 400 grams of baking flour and 125 grams of icing sugar. Mix until combined.
3. Now make a hole in the middle of the flour and pour in the softened butter and one egg.
4. Start stirring with a fork to mix the ingredients and when you see that it is more difficult to stir, use your hands, it is a lot of fun. Knead the dough until well integrated.
5. Roll a ball with the dough, wrap it in cling film and put it to chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. We do this to harden the dough a little so we can work it better.
6. Once chilled, take it out of the freezer and place it on a parchment paper. With the help of a rolling pin, roll the dough out to 1/5 inch thick.
Now it’s time to use your favorite cookie cutters!
7. Preheat the oven to 360º F (180º C).
8. Line up a baking sheet with parchment paper and place on top the figures you have made with the cookie cutters. Tip: With the leftover dough, roll it back into a ball and knead again to cut more dough until there is no more left.
9. Bake for 10 minutes or until they are golden brown. Allow cookies to cool for 10 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
10. Roll out the fondant with the help of a rolling pin to 1/8 inch thick. Use the same cookie cutters you have used before and, with the help of a brush and a small glass of water, moisten a little the fondant before sticking it to the cookie. Repeat this process with all your cookies. Et voilà! You have just made amazing decorated butter cookies!
Decorated Butter Cookies Recipe
These butter cookies are not only delicious, but they are also a creative and collaborative activity for my kids. They have fun making them while helping me in the kitchen.
In a separate bowl, add baking flour and icing sugar. Mix until combined.
Make a hole in the middle of the flour and pour in the softened butter and one egg.
Stir and then knead the dough until well integrated.
Roll a ball with the dough, wrap it in cling film and put it to chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Once chilled, roll the dough out to 1/5 inch thick.
Preheat the oven to 360º F (180º C).
Line up a baking sheet with parchment paper and place on top the figures you have made with the cookie cutters.
Bake for 10 minutes or until they are golden brown. Allow cookies to cool for 10 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
Roll out the fondant with the help of a rolling pin to 1/8 inch thick. Use the same cookie cutters you have used before and, with the help of a brush and a small glass of water, moisten a little the fondant before sticking it to the cookie. Repeat this process with all your cookies. Et voilà! You have just made amazing decorated butter cookies!
I love this banana bread recipe with chocolate chips. And I´m sure you will too!
This chocolate chip banana bread recipe is, without a doubt, the best way to use up those ripe bananas that are still sitting uneaten in your fruit bowl..
Spoiler! They will eat those ripe bananas, but in a different way 🙂
Many people use lemon juice to make banana bread; instead, I like to use Greek yoghurt to make a very moist banana bread.
Should I use lemon juice or yoghurt to make banana bread?
Since these two ingredients are essential to activate the baking soda, some people rather use lemon juice, and others prefer yoghurt as ingredient for their banana bread.
How do I know when a banana is ripe?
When the bananas start to have a dull yellowish color, with brown and black shades. Then you can consider that it is a banana that is ripening.
The darker the bananas are, the better! That means they are very ripe and the riper the bananas are, the more moist and sweeter the bread will be and more banana flavour it will have!
It’s time to use those ripe bananas!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 356°F ( 180°C ).
2. Melt 115 grams of butter in the microwave for 45 seconds. Don´t worry if some pieces are still solid when you take it out, it will finish melting when you stir it. I recommend cutting the butter into chunks (3 or 4) so it will melt faster.
3. Pour the melted butter in a bowl and then add three ripe bananas. Mix together with a fork while mashing the bananas.
4. Add two eggs, 75 grams of Greek yogurt and one teaspoon of vanilla extract into your banana mixture. Tip: If you don´t have yogurt, you can use sour cream instead. Continue stirring with a fork until everything is mixed. You can use an electric hand mixer at low speed if desired. Set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, add your dry ingredients: 270 grams of flour, a teaspoon of baking soda (6 grams), a teaspoon of baking powder (6 grams), a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Stir with a whisk until everything is well combined.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix all together with a spatula until well combined. You will notice the batter getting brownie and more solid.
7. Prepare the 10-inch loaf pan by first spreading butter over all four sides and bottom and then adding flour to the buttered pan. This will help you unmold the bread later.
8. Pour the batter into the pan and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the batter just before baking.
9. Bake for 50 minutes. I recommend you not to open the oven door during this time. When the time is up insert a cake tester (or a knife) into the center of the banana bread to check whether it is done. If the tester comes out clean … Et voilà! You have made a delicious banana bread with chocolate chips!
This banana bread recipe is, without a doubt, the best way to use up those ripe bananas that are still unused in the fruit bowl. If you want to give your banana bread a chocolate flavour, you can sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the batter just before baking.
This recipe forcarrot cake will leave you speechless.
Victor and I are particularly fond of this homemade dessert.
One day I decided to surprise him by making one of my specialities. Carrot cake! He exclaimed. That was the last thing I heard from him.
We didn’t talk for a while because we were quite busy eating the whole cake in record time. It’s texture and flavour conquered all our senses.
The following day, he insisted that I should share my culinary knowledge with the world. And so that this blog was born!
How to Make Carrot Cake
This recipe for carrot cake is very easy to make. Just follow these steps:
1. Preheat the oven to 320°F ( 160°C ).
Carrot Sponge Cake
2. Wash and peel 4 small carrots.
3. Grate the carrots with a vegetable grater. Once you are done, place the grated carrots in a bowl and set aside.
4. In a bowl, add four eggs and 150 grams of sugar. Beat all together with an electric hand mixer at maximum speed until foamy and pale yellow.
5 . Add the grated carrots and 75 grams of sunflower oil to the yolk mixture. Beat all together with the hand mixer at medium speed until well combined.
6. Add the following dry ingredients to a strainer: 150 grams of flour, a teaspoon of baking powder, a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and a pinch of salt. Then gently tap the side repeatedly over the mixture until all of the dry powder has passed through the strainer. At the same time you stir the batter with a spatula.
Tip for this sixth step: In batches, sift and combine with folding movements, a bottom-to-top and top-to-bottom motion, so that the mixture absorbs well the dry ingredients without making lumps.
7. Crush 40 grams of walnuts by hand and add them to the mixture while stirring. The batter is ready!
8. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8 inch cake pan with butter. Then sprinkle with a little flour.
Tip for this eighth step: When you are spreading the flour, tap the cake pan so that it sticks to the entire surface. Then remove the excess. The cake pan is now ready to welcome the batter!
9. Pour batter in the cake pan and bake for 50 minutes.
Tip for this ninth step: I recommend you not to be opening and closing the oven door.
10. When the time is up insert a cake tester (or a knife) into the center of the cake to check whether it is done. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready. If the batter sticks, leave it a few more minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting or Glaze
11. In a bowl, add 275 grams of Philadelphia cream cheese, 150 grams of icing sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and 60 grams of butter. Beat everything with an electric hand / stand mixer. Once the glaze is ready and well integrated, set it aside.
Tip for this tenth step: It is recommended that the butter is not cold and hard, but just at room temperature, otherwise it will not integrate with the mixture and lumps will appear. You can take it out of the refrigerator at the beginning, when you start cooking, or put it in the microwave for less than a minute to soften it a little.
12. Cut the cake in half with a bread knife. The cut is horizontal. Spread the cream cheese frosting all over the cake base. Place the other half on top of the base and now cover the entire cake with glaze.
Et voilà! You have just made a delicious carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
Grate the carrots, place them in a bowl and set aside.
In a bowl, add four eggs and 150 grams of sugar. Beat all together with an electric hand mixer at maximum speed until foamy and pale yellow.
Add the grated carrots and sunflower oil to the yolk mixture. Beat all together with the hand mixer at medium speed.
Add the following dry ingredients to a strainer: flour, baking powder, a cinnamon powder and salt. Sift over the mixture while stirring the batter with a spatula.
Crush walnuts and add them to the mixture while stirring.
Grease the 8 inch cake pan with butter. Then sprinkle with a little flour.
Pour batter in the cake pan and bake for 50 minutes.
Insert a cake tester into the center of the cake to check whether it is done. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
Cream Cheese Frosting
In a bowl, add Philadelphia cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla extract and butter. Beat everything with an electric hand / stand mixer. Set aside.
Cut the cake in half with a bread knife. The cut is horizontal opening the cake in half. Spread frosting on the the base of the cake. Put the other half of the cake on top of the base with frosting, and then cover the cake by spreading glaze over the entire surface and sides.
Et voilà! You have just made a delicious carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.