I decided to bring these crepes with creme suzette to that dinner… and they were a hit!
If you want to make a special meal, these crepes are an ideal option to surprise your guests.
Crepes Must Always Be Flambéed ?
They do not always have to be flambéed. It is true that the origin of these pancakes comes from an unintentional flambéing accident; however, they are just as delicious in case you don’t want to flambé them. You can add the liqueur while making the sauce.
Who Invented Crepe Suzette ?
The most widespread legend about the origin of this dessert claims that, while a maitre was preparing some crepes for King Edward VII, at that time Prince of Wales, a tangerine liqueur that was nearby accidentally spilled and ignited in the crepes. As a consequence, this dessert was a great success among the diners, and the prince decided to name it after a young girl who was accompanying them. Her name was Suzette.
What Liqueur Is Commonly Used To Make Crepes Suzettes ?
Originally, the liqueur used was Curaçao, but nowadays is commonly used Grand Marnier or Cointreau. Some people make these crepes with brandy or rum as a substitute.
How To Flambe Crepes Suzettes ?
Once the crêpes have been soaked in the Suzette sauce, and always with the extractor hood off, pour the liqueur and flambé crepes with the help of a lighter or a blowtorch. They can be flambéed in the pan or in front of the guests by pouring the orange liqueur at the last moment.
How to Make Crepes Suzettes
To make this dessert, three parts must be taken into account: crepes, suzette sauce and flambé.
1. Melt 50 grams of butter in the microwave for 40 seconds. Set aside.
2. In a hand blender jar, add half a liter of whole milk, 3 eggs, 250 grams of flour, a teaspoon of salt, 10 grams of sugar and the melted butter. Beat with a hand blender on medium speed until no lumps.
4. Strain the mixture and let it sit for one hour at room temperature, or half an hour in the refrigerator if you do not have time.
5. Once the resting time is up, put a small knob of unsalted butter in a 9.5 inch frying pan over medium high heat and wait for the butter to melt. Then, with a paper towel, spread the butter all over the pan.
6. With the help of a ladle, pour some crepe batter into the pan and tilt and turn the pan so that the mixture is evenly distributed.
7. Let the crepe cook, without touching it, for about one minute. Lift the edge a little with the help of a skimmer spoon and, when you see that it is golden brown, turn it over and wait a few seconds until the other side is also done. Remove the crepe from the heat and start again with another one.
8. Peel and cut the skin of an orange very thinly and then, with 2 oranges, make a juice.
9. In a frying pan over medium heat, add 100 grams of sugar and 100 grams of softened butter. Stir until it begins to caramelize. When it starts to change color, pour in the orange juice and the cut orange peel. Tip: if you do not want to flambé, you can add a splash of Cointreau in this step.
10. When the sauce starts to thicken, it is time to dip the crepes in the sauce. Soak each crepes in the sauce and then fold them twice.
Flambé Crepes Suzettes
11. With the hood off, drizzle a splash of Cointreau over the crepes and flambé. Et voilà! You have just made delicious crepes suzettes.
The original crepe suzette is flambéed, but if you don’t want to do this last step, that’s okay, the crepes will already be delicious! What you can do is to add the liqueur when you make the sauce.
If you like crepes, this other crepes recipeis ideal to make a delicious afternoon snack for your loved ones.
Crepes Suzettes Recipe
Crepes suzettes is a must dessert in your recipe book.
In a hand blender jar, add whole milk, eggs, flour, salt, sugar and the melted butter. Beat with a hand blender on medium speed until no lumps.
Strain the mixture and let it sit for one hour at room temperature.
Once the resting time is up, put a small knob of unsalted butter in a frying pan over medium high heat and, with a paper towel, spread the melted butter all over the pan.
With the help of a ladle, pour some crepe batter into the pan and tilt and turn the pan so that the batter is evenly distributed.
Let the crepe cook for about one minute. When you see it is golden brown, turn it over and wait a few seconds until the other side is also done. Remove the crepe from the heat and start again with another one.
Peel and cut the skin of an orange very thinly and then, with 2 oranges, make a juice.
In a frying pan over medium heat, add sugar and butter. When it starts to change color, pour in the orange juice and the cut orange peel.
When sauce starts to thicken, it is time to dip your crepes in the sauce. Soak each crepe in the sauce and then fold them twice.
With the hood off, drizzle a splash of Cointreau over the crepes and flambé. Et voilà! You have just made delicious crepes suzettes.
Probably the best chocolate chip cookies in the world !
Ever since I tried this cookie for the first time at a Starbucks, I knew we were made for each other.
Its softness and chewiness make this chocolate chip cookie unique. While you bite the cookie, you enjoy every single part of it from start to end.
In short, when you eat this chocolate chip cookie, you live an experience with all your senses.
As soon as I tried this tasty treat, I set out to find out not only how to make them, but also to make the perfect cookie. This has led me to spend hours in the kitchen, making trial and error, to come up with the recipe that I am proud to share with you.
If they are already delicious, the chocolate chips embedded in them make them magical. I put a lot of chocolate chips in them, to make sure that in each bite I combine the flavour of the biscuit with that of the chocolate. Also, you can add chocolate chunks to enhance, even more, the chocolate flavor in the cookie.
Besides chocolate chips, you can add dried fruit, m&ms, candies, raisins, nuts, white chocolate, etc… whatever you like. I personally love this classic American cookie with chocolate chips!
You can eat them with milk or coffee. If your kids are around, save at least one for yourself! 🙂
How Do I Know When Cookies Are Done ?
When you take them out of the oven, you will think they are unbaked, as you will notice they are extremely soft. Don’t worry, these cookies thicken when cooling at room temperature. If you bake them longer they will come out and will not acquire that soft, moist texture that makes them so special. First, allow them to cool for 10 minutes on the cookie tray. Then, transfer them to the tray with racks, where you let them rest for 20 minutes to cool completely. You will be surprised with the final results!
Features Of These Soft And Chewy Cookies With Chocolate Chips
Its texture is soft, almost chewy, and has an irregular shape, unlike the rest of the cookies. None of them are the same.
They are very easy to make, it is an advantage and a curse at the same time!
You can store them in an airtight container, and they last 4-5 days.
With them success is guaranteed, especially with kids.
I have been improving this recipe to find the perfect cookie, so that everyone, from adults to the little ones, can enjoy eating them.
Why Do Cookies Get Flat In The Oven ?
Since cookie dough has a fatty element, such as butter, and a leavening, such as baking soda, the cookies expand when they are in the oven.
Why Do My Cookies Come Out Hard ?
When they are in the oven longer than they should be, the moisture in the dough evaporates; therefore, they become harder and do not acquire the soft texture that makes them so special. Another reason may be that they are smaller than they should be, as result, their moisture evaporates earlier since they have less dough. Roll the dough into balls of about 50 grams each.
Tips, Ingredients and Equipment To Make These Cookies
Very important ! Use softened butter, so I recommend taking the butter out of the refrigerator 2 hours before, to cool at room temperature, or softening it in the microwave at low power in 15 second batches. The butter will be softened when you can sink your fingers into it.
I use hand mixer with dough hooks.
In this recipe, white sugar is combined with brown sugar. The white sugar makes the inside of the cookie more moist and fresh, while the brown sugar gives the cookie that soft, chewy texture.
Cornstarch helps to make this cookie soft, and eggs help to give it structure and thickness.
Use as much chocolate as you like. I add extra chocolate chips to make sure there will be delicious chocolate in every bite.
When you roll the dough into balls, press the sides a little to make them taller. This will help the cookies to come out thicker.
What Is The Best Way To Store Chocolate Chip Cookies?
In case you want to save them for another time, a very simple way to store them is in an airtight container or tupperware. Many weekends I make my mom these cookies for her Thursday Tour, in other words, every Thursday she goes to pick up all her grandchildren from school. That is, she stores these cookies with chocolate chips in tupperware for 5 days. My children and nieces and nephews, the biggest critics of my cooking, love them! So, in my experience, these chocolate chip cookies keep well in the tupperware for 5 days.
How to Make The Best Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 338ºF ( 170ºC ).
2. In a bowl, add 200 grams of softened salted butter cut in cubes, 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of white granulated sugar. With the hand held mixer, cream the butter with the sugar for 2 minutes on low speed.
3. In another bowl, whisk 2½ cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and ½ teaspoon of baking soda together.
4. When dry ingredients are well combined, add them into the butter mixture, then beat with the hand mixer on low speed until the mixture gets a sand-like texture.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, one egg and one egg yolk into the mixture. Beat with the hand held mixer until crumbs.
6. Now start kneading the mixture. Add 200 grams of chocolate chips into the dough and knead again. The amount of chocolate chips can vary according to your taste for chocolate. In my case, I am very very chocolatier!
7. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
8 . Roll the dough into balls, about 50 grams of dough each. I recommend you to, first, roll the balls and then squeeze each side, making the ball taller or into a more cylindrical shape.
9 . Place each ball on the parchment paper. Leave enough space between each cookie so that they have room to expand and don´t stick together.
10. Bake for 15 minutes.
11. When removing from oven, cookies will look like they are unbaked. Don´t worry! Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on parchment paper, then transfer them to a wire rack and let cool completely for 10 minutes. You will see that they will harden a little more, without losing their soft texture. Et voilà, you have just made delicious chocolate chip cookies!
In a bowl, cream butter with sugar, with a hand held mixer, for 2 minutes on low speed.
In another bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch and baking soda together.
When dry ingredients are well combined, add them into the butter mixture, then beat with the hand mixer on low speed until the mixture gets a sand-like texture.
Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, one egg and one egg yolk into the mixture. Beat with the hand held mixer until crumbs.
Knead the mixture, then add 200 grams of chocolate chips into the dough and knead again.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll the dough into balls, about 50 grams of dough each.
Coloca cada bolita encima del papel de horno.
Place each ball on the parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cookies cool for 10 minutes on the parchment paper. Then, transfer them to a wire rack and let cool completely for 10 minutes. Et voilà, you have just made delicious chocolate chip cookies!
Whenever I go to my grandmother’s village, I have churros for breakfast!
When freshly made, churros are deliciously crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
A Typical Breakfast In Spain
Here in Spain, the way to eat them for breakfast is plain or coating the churro in sugar. At breakfast we don’t usually dip it in hot chocolate, it might be too heavy to start the day. We like to accompany them with coffee instead. This is a time to time breakfast in Spain, not daily.
Churros with Chocolate
We like to accompany churros with hot chocolate when we celebrate special moments such as New Year’s breakfast or special family evenings. Also, churros with hot chocolate is the perfect afternoon snack to eat in the cold winter evenings.
What Is The Origin Of Churros ?
The origin of churros is a bit uncertain. On one hand, it is said that Portuguese brought them from China to the Iberian Peninsula. On the other, there is a legend that claims that it was Spanish shepherds who invented this popular dish, as the dough was easy to make and fry during their long stays in the fields. The name churro could come from the churra sheep, a native breed of Castilla y León.
The churros tradition passed from the countryside to the small villages, where churros were made in churrerías(churros factory). In my view, there is no better smell in the morning than that of freshly baked bread and churros in the villages.
How to Make Churros
As a child, I saw these delicious figures as impossible to make; however, I never imagined that I would learn how to make churros.
What are Churros Made of ?
Churros is fried dough made of flour, water and salt; in addition, we are going to add egg whites since churros come out delicious this way!
Believe it or not, churros are very easy to make. For this reason I have carefully broken down each step of this recipe, so your churros come out perfect the first time. Plus, you can make them in the shape of a ribbon, a walking stick or a stick; it depends on your creativity and your skill with the churro maker.
Easy Churros Recipe
1. In a saucepan, add 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of water and a pinch of salt. Heat over medium flame until it starts to boil.
2. Sift 1 cup of all-purpose flour into a small bowl; then, add the flour to the saucepan with the milk and water. Cook the flour in the saucepan for one and a half minutes over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until the dough does not stick to the sides of the pan.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat, place the dough in a bowl and then add an egg white to the mixture. Keep stirring. You can knead the dough with your hands but be careful not to burn yourself.
Tip for this third step: Knead until the dough absorbs the egg white. You will know the dough is well done when you can shape it without pieces sticking to your hands.
4. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, pour plenty of soft olive oil (> 200 ml) in a 9 inch frying pan and put it over medium heat for 8/9 minutes until it reaches 356°F ( 180°C ). I use a cooking thermometer to measure the temperature.
10 minutes later…
6. Once the oil is ready, load the dough into a churro maker. Then, pipe lines about 4″ long.
Tips for this sixth step:
You can pipe the dough either directly into the hot oil or onto a piece of parchment paper before frying.
I recommend using a churro maker to make churros. If you don’t have one, another way to make churros is using a piping bag with a star-shaped nozzle.
7. Fry the churros for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Total time in the pan: 6 minutes approx.
8. Remove the churros from the pan with a skimmer and place them on a plate with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
9. In a small bowl, add 100 grams of sugar and coat the freshly made churros in. Et voilà… you have churros for breakfast or afternoon snack!
If you like traditional Spanish desserts, click here to discover more!
Authentic Spanish Churros Recipe
With this recipe you will learn how to make authentic Spanish churros. You can make them in the shape of a ribbon, a walking stick or a stick. The ingredients are: flour, water, salt and egg white. You will love these churros!
In August 1994, Victor was on a plane to Paris on a mission to learn French with a Parisian family. However, he never expected to learn how to make pain perdu, the authentic French toast.
At that time, the culture of France was totally unknown to him.He didn’t speak the language, he didn’t know any of the family members beforehand, and he felt that at the age of 13, the adventure might be too challenging for him.
The first few days were a bit harsh, but little by little he got used to that situation. Besides he was in a wonderful city!
Oui and non was the only thing he knew to answer when spoken to. He always answered, even if he didn’t understand a word of what was being said.
A few weeks later they took a super-fast train to Lyon, and from there they went by car to a cottage in the French Alps. On that trip he was lucky enough to witness the Tour and see Miguel Indurain ride past in his yellow jersey.
The mother of that family taught him to make two very simple French dishes. The first was to boil an egg for 5 minutes, break the top of the shell and dip buttered bread in the yolk. A real treat. The second recipe was the famous pain perdu recipe, the authentic french toast, which consisted of using the leftover bread from the day before and turning it into a sweet delicacy.
How to Make Pain Perdu
1. The bread you can use to make pain perdu can be loaf bread, ciabatta or baguette, preferably stale bread from the day before.
It is best to use stale bread to prepare this dessert, as it holds the egg-milk mixture better without falling apart.
2. In a bowl, add 2 eggs and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, pour 200 ml of milk.
3 . Cut the bread into 0.5/1 inch slices.
4. Grease the pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over high heat.
5. Dip a bread slice in the milk for one second on each side.
6. Now dip the same slice in the egg for one second on each side.
7. Place the same slice in the greased pan for one minute on one side, or when it starts to brown, and another minute on the other side. Do the same with the rest of the bread slices.
8. Before serving, sprinkle a little sugar on top of the pain perdu… Et voilà! Enjoy eating pain perdu!
Recipe for French Toast
French toast is the pain perdu American version and has become a popular dish eaten for brunch or breakfast. The main difference between the original pain perdu and French toast is that in the latter all the ingredients are mixed together in one bowl. In addition, the recipe for french toast is made of ingredients that aren´t in the pain perdu recipe, such as cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. The final dressing is accompanied by maple syrup, jam, sugar or red fruits.
How to Make French Toast
1. In a bowl, pour 100 ml of whole milk and add 2 eggs, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of vanilla sugar, or vanilla extract, a pinch of salt and a pinch of nutmeg. Beat with a whisk and set aside.
It is best to use bread from the day before to prepare this dessert, as it holds the egg-milk mixture better without falling apart or becoming soggy. Some people recommend slicing the bread the night before and letting it dry a little overnight.However, it is also fine to use fresh bread when making this recipe for french toast.
2. If you use unsliced bread, slice the bread into four 1-inch slices.
You can use either slice sandwich bread (bimbo) or brioche.
3. Grease the pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over high fire.
4 . Dip one slice of bread in the egg mixture for 6 seconds on each side.
5. Place the same slice in the greased pan for 40 seconds on one side, or when it starts to brown, and another minute on the other side. Do the same with the rest of the slices.
6. Take the toast out of the pan and drain it briefly on kitchen paper.
7. Now it´s time to dress it with whatever you like: maple syrup, jam, berries, sugar… Et voilà! You have made a delicious French toast!
This recipe for fried plantains with orange sauce, or platanos fritos, won´t leave you indifferent!
What I like about our grandmothers’ desserts is that they were made with basic products. Who doesn’t have sugar, bananas and oranges at home? You only need these three ingredients to make a real delicacy.
This is another recipe from Victor’s grandmother, Nona, who is delighted to be able to contribute her bit to this blog. Thanks Nona! Another of her famous recipes is this recipe for chocolate cake.
How to Make Fried Plantains with Orange Sauce
1. Make an orange juice with 2 oranges.
2. Grease a frying pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over medium-low heat (level 4 on glass-ceramic). Tip: Use a frying pan in which the plantains fit. For this dessert I use a 9.5 inch pan.
3. Slice 2 bananas lengthwise.
4. When the butter starts to foam and sizzle a little, put the plantains with the cut side down. Let them cook for 12 minutes.
5. When the 12 minutes are up (it starts to smell good!), add orange juice until it covers half of the bananas. Then add 1 tablespoon of sugar per banana, and soak the banana loin with the juice from the pan. Let the sauce cook for 25 minutes over medium heat.
6. The sauce that is being made is like a kind of syrup. You can shake the pan a little so that the sauce is well distributed. When you see that it has thickened during this time, without caramelizing, it´s time to remove it from the heat. Et voilà… and in a very simple way you have just made delicious fried plantains with orange sauce.
The texture of the sauce is thicker than syrup and less thick than caramel. If you see that it caramelizes too soon in the pan, add a little more orange juice.
The texture of the banana at the end should not be hard, but soft as shown in the photo above. If you see that it is hard it needs to be cooked a little more in the pan.
These platanos fritos are served warm and with just the sauce taste delicious. However, you can add either whipped or liquid cream as an accompaniment if you want.
I love this recipe for fried bananas, it’s super easy to make and you don’t need a lot of time. I hope you enjoy it savouring it´s incredible texture and flavour!
Grease a frying pan with a tablespoon of butter and put it over medium-low heat.
Slice 2 bananas lengthwise
When the butter starts to foam and sizzle a little, put the plantains with the cut side down. Let them cook for 12 minutes.
When the 12 minutes are up (it starts to smell good!), add orange juice until it covers half of the bananas. Then add 1 tablespoon of sugar per banana, and soak the banana loin with the juice from the pan. Let the sauce cook for 25 minutes over medium heat.
When you see that the sauce has thickened , it´s time to remove it from the heat. Et voilà! You have just made delicious fried plantains with orange sauce.
KEYWORDS fried plantains, fried plantains with orange sauce
I love this banana bread recipe with chocolate chips. And I´m sure you will too!
This chocolate chip banana bread recipe is, without a doubt, the best way to use up those ripe bananas that are still sitting uneaten in your fruit bowl..
Spoiler! They will eat those ripe bananas, but in a different way 🙂
Many people use lemon juice to make banana bread; instead, I like to use Greek yoghurt to make a very moist banana bread.
Should I use lemon juice or yoghurt to make banana bread?
Since these two ingredients are essential to activate the baking soda, some people rather use lemon juice, and others prefer yoghurt as ingredient for their banana bread.
How do I know when a banana is ripe?
When the bananas start to have a dull yellowish color, with brown and black shades. Then you can consider that it is a banana that is ripening.
The darker the bananas are, the better! That means they are very ripe and the riper the bananas are, the more moist and sweeter the bread will be and more banana flavour it will have!
It’s time to use those ripe bananas!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 356°F ( 180°C ).
2. Melt 115 grams of butter in the microwave for 45 seconds. Don´t worry if some pieces are still solid when you take it out, it will finish melting when you stir it. I recommend cutting the butter into chunks (3 or 4) so it will melt faster.
3. Pour the melted butter in a bowl and then add three ripe bananas. Mix together with a fork while mashing the bananas.
4. Add two eggs, 75 grams of Greek yogurt and one teaspoon of vanilla extract into your banana mixture. Tip: If you don´t have yogurt, you can use sour cream instead. Continue stirring with a fork until everything is mixed. You can use an electric hand mixer at low speed if desired. Set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, add your dry ingredients: 270 grams of flour, a teaspoon of baking soda (6 grams), a teaspoon of baking powder (6 grams), a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Stir with a whisk until everything is well combined.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix all together with a spatula until well combined. You will notice the batter getting brownie and more solid.
7. Prepare the 10-inch loaf pan by first spreading butter over all four sides and bottom and then adding flour to the buttered pan. This will help you unmold the bread later.
8. Pour the batter into the pan and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the batter just before baking.
9. Bake for 50 minutes. I recommend you not to open the oven door during this time. When the time is up insert a cake tester (or a knife) into the center of the banana bread to check whether it is done. If the tester comes out clean … Et voilà! You have made a delicious banana bread with chocolate chips!
This banana bread recipe is, without a doubt, the best way to use up those ripe bananas that are still unused in the fruit bowl. If you want to give your banana bread a chocolate flavour, you can sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the batter just before baking.