I love this chocolate chip cookies recipe!
Ever since I tried this cookie for the first time at a Starbucks, I knew we were made for each other.
Its softness and chewiness make this chocolate chip cookie unique. While you bite the cookie, you enjoy every single part of it from start to end.
In short, when you eat this chocolate chip cookie, you live an experience with all your senses.
As soon as I tried this tasty treat, I set out to find out not only how to make them, but also to make the perfect cookie. This has led me to spend hours in the kitchen, making trial and error, to come up with the recipe that I am proud to share with you.
If they are already delicious, the chocolate chips embedded in them make them magical. I put a lot of chocolate chips in them, to make sure that in each bite I combine the flavour of the biscuit with that of the chocolate. Also, you can add chocolate chunks to enhance, even more, the chocolate flavor in the cookie.
Besides chocolate chips, you can add dried fruit, m&ms, candies, raisins, nuts, white chocolate, etc… whatever you like. I personally love this classic American cookie with chocolate chips!
You can eat them with milk or coffee. If your kids are around, save at least one for yourself! 🙂
How Do I Know When Cookies Are Done ?
When you take them out of the oven, you will think they are unbaked, as you will notice they are extremely soft. Don’t worry, these cookies thicken when cooling at room temperature. If you bake them longer they will come out and will not acquire that soft, moist texture that makes them so special. First, allow them to cool for 10 minutes on the cookie tray. Then, transfer them to the tray with racks, where you let them rest for 20 minutes to cool completely. You will be surprised with the final results!
Features Of These Soft And Chewy Cookies With Chocolate Chips
- Its texture is soft and chewy, and has an irregular shape, unlike the rest of the cookies. None of them look alike.
- They are very easy to make, it is an advantage and a curse at the same time!
- You can store them in an airtight container, and they last 4-5 days.
- If you take these cookies with you for special occasions, you’re guaranteed success.
I have been improving this recipe to find the perfect cookie, so that everyone, from adults to the little ones, can enjoy eating them.
Why Do Cookies Get Flat In The Oven ?
Since cookie dough has a fatty element, such as butter, and a leavening, such as baking soda, the cookies expand when they are in the oven.
Why Do My Cookies Come Out Hard ?
When they are in the oven longer than they should be, the moisture in the dough evaporates; therefore, they become harder and do not acquire the soft texture that makes them so special. Another reason may be that they are smaller than they should be, as result, their moisture evaporates earlier since they have less dough. Roll the dough into balls of about 50 grams each.
Tips, Ingredients and Equipment To Make These Cookies
- Very important ! Use softened butter, so I recommend taking the butter out of the refrigerator 2 hours before, to cool at room temperature, or softening it in the microwave at low power in 15 second batches. The butter will be softened when you can sink your fingers into it.
- I use hand mixer with dough hooks.
- In this recipe, white sugar is combined with brown sugar. The white sugar makes the inside of the cookie more moist and fresh, while the brown sugar gives the cookie that soft, chewy texture.
- Cornstarch helps to make this cookie soft, and eggs help to give it structure and thickness.
- Use as much chocolate as you like. I add extra chocolate chips to make sure there will be delicious chocolate in every bite.
- When you roll the dough into balls, press the sides a little to make them taller. This will help the cookies to come out thicker.
What Is The Best Way To Store Chocolate Chip Cookies?
In case you want to save them for another time, a very simple way to store them is in an airtight container or tupperware. Many weekends I make my mom these cookies for her Thursday Tour, in other words, every Thursday she goes to pick up all her grandchildren from school. That is, she stores these cookies with chocolate chips in tupperware for 5 days. My children and nieces and nephews, the biggest critics of my cooking, love them! So, in my experience, these chocolate chip cookies keep well in the tupperware for 5 days.
How to Make Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 338ºF ( 170ºC ).
2. In a bowl, add 200 grams of softened salted butter cut in cubes, 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of white granulated sugar. With the hand held mixer, cream the butter with the sugar for 2 minutes on low speed.
3. In another bowl, whisk 2½ cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and ½ teaspoon of baking soda together.
4. When dry ingredients are well combined, add them into the butter mixture, then beat with the hand mixer on low speed until the mixture gets a sand-like texture.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, one egg and one egg yolk into the mixture. Beat with the hand held mixer until crumbs.
6. Now start kneading the mixture. Add 200 grams of chocolate chips into the dough and knead again. The amount of chocolate chips can vary according to your taste for chocolate. In my case, I am very very chocolatier!
7. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
8 . Roll the dough into balls, about 50 grams of dough each. I recommend you to, first, roll the balls and then squeeze each side, making the ball taller or into a more cylindrical shape.
9 . Place each ball on the parchment paper. Leave enough space between each cookie so that they have room to expand and don´t stick together.
10. Bake for 15 minutes.
11. When removing from oven, cookies will look like they are unbaked. Don´t worry! Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on parchment paper, then transfer them to a wire rack and let cool completely for 10 minutes. You will see that they will harden a little more, without losing their soft texture. Et voilà, you have just made delicious chocolate chip cookies!
Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2½ cups all-porpuse flour ( 360 grams )
- 200 grams salted butter (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar ( 160 grams )
- ½ cup white (granulated) sugar ( 80 grams )
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch ( 6 grams )
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( 5 ml )
- ½ teaspoon baking soda ( 3 grams )
- Preheat the oven to 338ºF ( 170ºC ).
- In a bowl, cream butter with sugar, with a hand held mixer, for 2 minutes on low speed.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch and baking soda together.
- When dry ingredients are well combined, add them into the butter mixture, then beat with the hand mixer on low speed until the mixture gets a sand-like texture.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, one egg and one egg yolk into the mixture. Beat with the hand held mixer until crumbs.
- Knead the mixture, then add 200 grams of chocolate chips into the dough and knead again.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into balls, about 50 grams of dough each.
- Coloca cada bolita encima del papel de horno.
- Place each ball on the parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool for 10 minutes on the parchment paper. Then, transfer them to a wire rack and let cool completely for 10 minutes. Et voilà, you have just made delicious chocolate chip cookies!